There are many ways of improving your websites authority on Google’s SERP (Search Engine Results Page). One of the main tasks is to optimise your websites SEO.
1. Modifying your website’s title tag
Every website uses specific tags which marks the titles of the site. In the HTML coding, it can be found in the the code <title>###</title>. Keywords used in this title tag are very important for explaining your website and improving it’s SEO. Here are a few examples of powerful sites with high page ranking:
Writing a <title> tag – this can be easily done with the SEO plugin Yoast.
- Use the same keywords in your Site Title as in your H1 tag below.
- Site Title must not exceed 70 characters long, spaces included.
- Begin your Site Title with your business name.
- If you are a Local business include your city/state/county/suburb. Local information like the area name helps Search Engines to direct local users attracting more visits from local searches.
- Use the pipe sign (|) to distinguish different parts in your Site Title.
- Try incorporating your most relevant keyword in your Site Title i.e. the word you think a client would type into a Search Engine search to find your website – for example, our most relevant keyword is website.
- Make sure your Site Title is easy to read and attractive – A relevant and descriptive Site Title is more likely to attract users to ‘click’ in Search Engine results.
2. Adding keywords in your website content
It is necessary to ensure that you are using specific keywords related to your Brand in the text. In the end, these keywords are what bring visits to your site and raise your ranking on Google. It is important that you use these keywords throughout the website. You do not want to overdo it, Google is smart enough to know when you are over using keywords in order to cheaply raise your ranking on your website. You need to keep density of your keyword usage in your site, without unnecessary usage of them. (<10% density)
Use this website to check density of your keywords: http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword-density/
3. Using keywords in headings
Another large portion that Google looks for keywords at is in the content headings (<h1>, <h2>, etc.). To find out more about HTML headings, you can check out our free guide here: Using HTML header tags
4. Use <alt> tags
When you upload images to the internet, Google is unable to read images, however, it is able to read the unseen tags in the html coding (<alt> tags). In it’s most basic form, <alt> tags are primarily used to specify alternative text for the image if it cannot be displayed for some reason.
* Only use in Images that add information or value to the user. Decorative images that are merely aesthetic and are not relevant to your site’s content, do not need <alt> tags.
5. Use of metatags/meta-descriptions
Although Google does not rely on these very much now a days, They cannot do anything but improve your websites page ranking. A couple search engines that do utilize them however, are Yahoo and Bing. It isn’t of the utmost importance, but it is something that could potentially help your ranking.
Additionally, ensure that your meta description that you have set is utilizing keywords for your site. These meta descriptions can also be embedded in the html of the website to provide Google-Bot with relevant information on what a particular page is about.
6: Inbound links
You need to get your name out there. Not just by word of mouth and getting people to like your Facebook page, you need to get your link out there. Press releases are a great way to do so, but there are also many other ways to get your link to be known. Not only do you need to establish quantity when getting backlinks to our site, Google-Bot also takes into account where those links are coming from (how well known the other site is). For example, “.gov .org. & .edu” sites establish more credibility and are more heavily favoured by Google-Bot.
Ways of getting inbound links:
- Submit Site URL to Directories- Directories are like online libraries for websites. They are themselves websites that categorize and list other websites, based on many factors depending on the directory. Getting listed in a directory can boost your site’s visibility with a valuable backlink. DMoz is the web’s largest and most popular directory. Smaller, niche-based directories can be powerful as well. (Yahoo Directory is another)
- Submit Content to Article Databases- Article databases. Write a few quality articles relating to your website’s niche, and include some backlinks to your website.
- Write and Release Press Releases- Make sure to add a link to your website.
- Social Media- forming business relationships lead users to click your link and allow your link to further spread across the web.
Anchor Text in links:
Anchor text, sometimes referred to as clickable text, is helpful for boosting a website’s search engine ranking. Instead of merely linking to pages within your website or outside websites using the URL or the words “click here”, use relevant keyword phrases.
7. Additional ways to improve SEO
- Increasing the frequency of content change
- Keeping the webpage text unique and concise
- Font size/ style (bold, italic, etc.)
- Keyword rich URLs and file names
- Hyphens in URLs (to increase readability)
- Optimizing your “Named Anchors”
- Keyword proximity/ phrases
- PPC Advertising (Google Adwords)
For more guides on improving your SEO, you can view them here